When Evil Triumphs -What Shall We Do?

When Evil Triumphs -What Shall We Do?
Garland Elkins
The answer is: "Commit thy way unto the Lord.- trust also in him and he shall bring it to pass" (Psalms 37:5). In this passage of scripture there is an all inclusive, satisfactory, and constructive philosophy of life in times that too easily produce disillusionment, discouragement, and doubt. Instead of following the impulse to worry, to lose faith, to be despondent, and to drift from the sure anchorage set out for the Christian in the New Testament, let us look at the simple directions.
1. "Fret not." Let us as Christians overcome our worries and anxieties, and let us put the Lord, and His kingdom first. Jesus said, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you" (Matthew 6:3 3). Paul, wrote, 'And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called, according to his purpose" (Romans 8:2 8). 
2. "Trust also in him." Solomon wrote, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths " (Proverbs 3:5-6). We must solve our problems not only by thinking right (Philippians 4:8), but also by the right action (Matthew 7:21-27). As the psalmist wrote, "Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed" (Psalms 37:3). 
3. "Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass" (Psalms 37:5). The final act is self-dedication. In such a dedication worries and depression will pass away eventually. As the psalmist wrote, "... weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning" (Psalms 30:5). Paul was confident that in spite of all of the difficult problems, and dark influences of evil men he not only could, but he was persuaded that he would overcome. He wrote, "For which cause I suffer also these things: yet I am not ashamed. for I know him whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that he is able to guard that which I have committed unto him against that day" (2 Timothy 1:12). Like Paul we need to be able to say, "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ liveth in me; and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me" (Galatians 2:20). ❧
I am but a cog in life's vast wheel, that daily makes the same old trip; yet what a joy it is to feel that but for me the world might slip. "Tis something after all to jog along and be a first class cog."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHRISTIANS AND POLITICS.

The Origin of Israel.

The Truth About Christmas